Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Busy Lady Challenge

Well, Day One went very well. But it has become apparent to me what exactly is going wrong when I'm out and about. I see my habitual stops and the urge to steer the car there requires almost gargantuan efforts to resist. Must. Not. Eat. Junk!

I want to thank people for their support, by the way. As a serial dieter, I always think people are going to scoff when I start up again, saying to themselves "Sure, Lisa. Sure." But this time, I am really focused. I'm putting reminders about being healthy on my fridge, I'm cutting out photos for inspiration, including some of me when I was thin, and really looking at my Cooking Light magazines. I see my steppies looking at me with pride when I make good choices. It's good for them to see too. They love to eat the bread and cheese and skip the veggies and fruit. My efforts will surely help them as well as me. But the truth is, this time it's really for me. I want to feel great.

Here's an email post from my friend Deb:

"You can do it!!! I too have put on a few pounds---I eat out of boredom and I'm putting together a vision board to keep focused. Trying not to 'live to eat' but 'eat to live' :) Once I get in the mode of thinking of food as fuel and not pleasure and reward it will help---and my South Beach Diet/Lifestyle cookbooks :) Hang in there!"

Last night, instead of the paella, we had the delicious vegetable soup I had already made. It had kale, broccoli, carrots, pearl onions, soy beans (frozen), bok choy and chicken. It was so good! I also made the kids grilled cheese (I had 1/2 a grilled cheese with no butter on a cast iron skillet -- I didn't even miss the butter!

Tonight, I am going to make the paella -- but I'm going to use what we have on hand. I have so much food in my freezer and fridge, I'm going to do a little surprise potluck and just add saffron. I know I have the turkey sausage and shrimp. Yum.

Now for the driving around dilemma. Today I'm "Straight Eye for the Queer Guy." My friend -- let's call him Dave -- is a wonderful man who happens to be a gay ho hates to shop. What? True. So I am taking him shopping for clothes. I also consulted on his house remodel and redecoration. It's fun. He's my gay Ken doll. Now, if only I got skinny, I could be my own mature Barbie.  So what to carry with me so I don't eat bad food when he takes me to lunch? Craisins? Pretzels? Apple slices? All sound good. Carrots are easy, but I really hate those little carrots. Too crunchy. I think  I'll also take a graham cracker or two in case I need anything sweet and starchy (craisins are sweet and tarty). Any other ideas? I'd welcome all suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment