Friday, March 12, 2010

I can't remember what I like to eat!

I apologize for being a missing link over the past week or so. First, the kids are here and I can get a little short on spare time. Second, I'm really concentrating on figuring out what exactly are the foods I like and how often I'm hungry. And that's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I often tell the kids, "It's not about what you like, it's about what's healthy." But the truth is, when food is your addiction, you often can't even remember what you like. Someone once said an addiction is getting too much of what you hate. I have to say that I've long hated food, even while I've loved it. So getting to the roots of what I need and like is an important part of getting through this mess.

One of the skinny chicks I've interviewed told me that she loves toast with peanut butter and honey and peanut butter and jelly in the morning. She has one slice of each every day because she loves it and looks forward to it. I'm trying to think of what I like for breakfast. I recently had peanut butter toast and honey toast (I don't like them together and I don't like jelly mixed with PB either), and it was just ok. Then I tried two eggs on toast, and I have to say that didn't wow me either, although it's ok. I honestly can't think of one thing I really like for breakfast, so while I'm thinking, I'm having an orange and a banana and coffee (I know I like coffee).

Another skinny chick I've interviewed told me that she won't waste her calories on chocolate that's lying around unless it's the really good stuff. The bottom line is that both of these women's thoughts center on what they like and want to eat rather than what they can't eat (and then eating it). No guilt Just another example of how thinking about what you want and then eating it purposefully is much better than completely denying yourself foods and then eating them anyway furtively and guiltily.


My youngest daughter tells me she loves hard-boiled eggs when they are still warm, so I'm making her those several mornings a week. Another daughter likes it when I make baked eggs in small cups. So I'm going back to making those as well. Wait, here's a though. I do love toast with butter on it. A friend told me I'll never lose weight eating bread with butter (that is a good one!), but I can lose weight if I modify it. What about if I use 1/2 tsp. of butter on each slice? And I do like cheese omelettes with onion and broccoli or asparagus. What if I cut out the oil and make sunnyside up eggs? Then I can grate a tiny bit of cheese on the eggs to get the flavor of cheese and not all the calories. Then I'll add the asparagus or broccoli. No more buttery eggs. Who needs it? Good breakfast solution. I like.

3 comments:

  1. I have randomly been reading your blog about weight loss since you started this and it is all the same. You need to see a therapist and figure out your food issue - that is your problem. It isn't the diet, exercise attempts or thinking like a skinny chick - you have a bigger issue at hand and until you figure it out all of your attempts with diet and exercise will fail. Figure out what YOU need, what YOUR hold up is and go from there. You will be much more successful if you do it for yourself in the way that works best for YOU. Enlist outside help if you really need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Anonymous sounds a little angry this morning. I've learned a lot on this journey and don't find it to be at all the same, and I am really enjoying hearing from others. If it's not for you, that's fine. I usually find that people who are angry about other people's issues have their own issues, so I won't take this attack personally at all. It's clear that this blog isn't for you. I'm not sure if you have a weight issue or why you come to this blog if you don't. But I wish you luck in pursuing whatever goals you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've made huge progress over the life of this blog. It can be frustrating to read a weight loss blog, especially if you are struggling with the same issues yourself. It can start to feel like "it's all the same." Because it is, of course. It's eating too much food. It's eating unhealthy foods. It's not exercising. That's all there is and all there ever will be. Lisa knows it, we know it. So anonymous wants her to explore the bigger issue at hand, but I see this blog as exactly that. She's continuing to probe and seek out her triggers, figuring out when and why she makes bad choices, and learning what others do differently. I can't remember if there's been a post about what might be talked about in therapy, but I bet that would be useful too. In other words, Lisa, could you come up with a list of reasons you have food issues that stem from your childhood? Or from your relationships with others? Or personality traits of yours in general?

    ReplyDelete