Monday, March 1, 2010

When you look good, you feel good. . .

After talking to many Skinny Chicks, I'm starting to notice that one element so often missing from Fat Chicks is self-pride. You know, that urge that has you shopping for nice clothing (and wearing it), or that has you styling your hair after you wash it, using makeup and actually wearing different socks every day.

It's also the thing that keeps you from eating food while shopping. After Ann so bluntly and helpfully commented that eating food while shopping is weird, it became pretty apparent to me that Skinny Chicks don't do that stuff. Not just because they don't want to, but because they have self-pride that keeps them focused on what they are there for. Since Ann's comment, I have NEVER eaten even once while shopping. I'm wearing makeup three out of five days during the week and almost always when I go out (although I didn't this weekend, and I found I didn't do very well on my eating). I'm dressing better and in fact went out and bought new jeans (3 pair) in my new size, knowing it won't be long until I'm buying smaller pants.

I'm also picking up my bedroom more, doing a better job keeping my floors free of furballs from our dogs, had my nice camel cashmere coat drycleaned and made sure no debris littered my bathroom every morning. I feel better!

I love Deon Sanders for one saying: When you look good, you feel good. And when you feel good, you play good. My game is losing weight, and I need to feel good to really get it done.

I'm looking forward to the day I have my entire house picked up, my counters are crumb free, my fridge is clean and my laundry is caught up. I look forward to having a closet full of clothes that all work well together, are stylish, clean and flattering. And a smaller size. And my makeup is new and in use and my hair is known for being perfectly styled every day. My car will be clean and clutter free (it almost is now) and my system at home for keeping organized is maintained daily instead of just once a week.

It sounds impossible to the Fat Chicks, but so many of the Skinny Chicks I know are there. Sure, they don't have perfect closets across the board, or their hair is a week behind on its highlighting schedule, or their garden is getting in late. But it's usually not—by what I see—a house of cards very near, or mid-way through, collapse.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I liked the thought of thinking like skinny chicks.

    ReplyDelete