Saturday, April 18, 2009

Friends in town

This has been a fun weekend! Lots of visitors from out of town. Tim's brother is in town as is his mom and stepdad, so we've had lots of delicious food in the house. Then tonight, my friend Nancy (and blog follower), is in town for an interview for a job on Monday, so we of course had to eat when we got together. Here's the thing. I want to be a great hostess, but still stay on the healthy eating plan.

So tonight, I made Nancy leftover roast chicken, roasted garlic potatoes and spinach gratin (which she doesn't really like) and noodles alfredo. She did a great job and stuck to a few potatoes, chicken and a bite of spinach. Whereas, I enjoyed some of the noodles, a few bites of chicken and a large serving of the spinach gratin. (She's editing as I type.)

So I want to really think about what I'm eating in terms of how to feed those I love without feeling like I have to overdo, German grandmother style. Tomorrow, I'm going to make a nice fruit salad with yogurt for breakfast. I think we'll do some lean meat on a salad for lunch with a nice piece of bread and dinner will be something a bit more fun (I'll just have less).

Tim's brother, who's a real honey, bought treats for everyone today -- chips and salsa. Fortunately, I don't like them and won't feel tempted. Nancy, on the other hand, says she would have eaten half the bag if she would have known before we had dinner. (Ouch, that smack hurt, Nancy!) I guess, the moral to this story is that different foods trigger pigouts, and I have to be conscious of bringing foods around me that aren't my own brand of comfort foods.

So when guests come into town, I need to plan for their comfort, which might be healthy foods and not fattening foods that are misguidedly meant to love and nurture them. They want to feel good as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment