Sunday, May 17, 2009

My first visit to the Trautman Farm

Yesterday, I finally braved the Trautman Family Farm on my own. They provide grass-fed meats: veal, beef, lamb, pork and chicken. It was a lovely trip over to Stoughton. They also sell beeswax products, coconut oil, honey (Bee Barf) and eggs. I found everything reasonable and came away with some discounted lamb chops, a tip roast and some wieners. We're going to try the wieners out on the kids (apparently they are the best tasting wieners ever) and the roast on Monday night. Tim and I will eat the lamb on the grill tonight (it's my birthday, so we're celebrating with a cookout).

The farm is open on Wednesdays and Saturday mornings, or you can place an email order and arrange a pickup time to your convenience. I paid in cash (they also accept checks).

I love the idea of directly supporting a farmer who uses humane and healthy farming practices, but I do know there are many other resources in the area if you can't get to a farm. Again, I love Paoli Local Produce (the Ruegseggers run it and they have a farm) and Willy St. Coop also sells local meats.

I was sad to hear that Artamos closed (formerly located at Whitney Square next to the Seafood Center. I always felt they could do a better job advertising.

I'd love to hear of any other resources for grass-fed meats, fish sources, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment