Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Another pound bites the dust!

Happy, happy, happy day! I'm down another pound. I love that I am hopping on the scale now and looking down to see another pound gone. It's fun! That's 7 total so far and I'm really happy to be close to getting into a lower weight decade.

(BTW: I can tell I've not been a newspaper reporter for a while, by the way, by the drastic increase in the number of exclamation marks I use [almost used another one there]).

At any rate, today I'm going to stop eating all leftovers and focus once again on eating fresh foods. Lately, it's been a festival of eating leftovers that are "almost right" or "not at all right."
Below is a recipe I'm going to try tonight as I also want to get my Tim some healthy foods as he is working so darn hard around here. I think I'll serve it with lamb chops.

Asparagus Citrus Salad (from The Daily Green recipe list).

1 bunch fresh asparagus spears, ends trimmed
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper
small block Parmesan cheese (optional)

Vinaigrette:
3-4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp honey
zest of half a lemon
3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper
1 blood orange, peeled and segmented (leftovers reserved)
1 orange, peeled and segmented, (leftovers reserved)

PREPARATIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drizzle asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place asparagus on a foil-lined baking sheet (for easy cleanup), and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until bright green and tender-crisp.
2. Meanwhile, combine vinegar, honey, lemon zest and mustard in a bowl and slowly whisk in olive oil until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Plate asparagus and drizzle liberally with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Top with orange and blood orange segments and drizzle with remaining vinaigrette, to taste. Garnish with thin ribbons of Parmesan cheese.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Can you give me a suggestion on how often you are weighing yourself? I seem to get on scale and get excited that a pound is off and then a few days later, they are back again. I am not sure to trust the scale. In the past, I did measurements once a month and went by that instead of a scale. In the recent years, I bought a scale and I seem to be obsessed with it and not sure it is giving me accurate feedback. It seems to bring emotional highs and lows since my weight doesn't ever seem to drop quickly. (Nancy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only weigh in once a week, just to see how I'm doing. I don't really think about it much. This morning I was thinking of hopping on again because I feel like I've lost weight, but I didn't. I want to focus on what I eat and how I feel -- gauging my level of hunger, how my body feels (today it feels a little rough, headachy and achy). That tells me how I'm doing. I really am trying to tune in to how my body feels. So I eat when I'm getting hungry and stopping before I'm too full. I feel achy right now, so I'm going to do a little yoga before eating. Although my morning hunger is kicking in, so I will likely have a little bit to eat first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how even changing your diet for a week can help or hinder. This past week, I felt great and was really taking charge of myself. I seem to do better when alone (not having to feed others or eat in front of others). I started to fit in some of my shorts and felt like I could fasten them and actually wear them. This week, we have visitors staying in the house (Ralph's parents) and I find that I eat different. They make some of the meals or we make different food b/c they want something or we go out to eat (only 2 times), but anyway, put on same shorts today and they were snug. Also, I do not do my yoga when company is in town, seems we are busy or talking, etc. Amazing how others can influence how well you take care of yourself. No wonder people who are recovering from something go away. (Nancy)

    ReplyDelete