Thursday, June 4, 2009

Seasonal Notes: Rhubarb, Morels and Asparagus

With May each year comes the gardener's delight at once again having fresh veggies and fruit available for their dinner table. Yay I say! For me, lettuce and radishes pale in comparison to rhubarb, morels and asparagus. I eat asparagus almost every day in May and June: in my eggs, steamed with a meat or fish, sauteed with rice and pureed for soup (which I freeze)! Here's a terrific article form the New York Times listing a few recipes and praising the yummy flavor of asparagus.

Sure, it's delicious, but I also have such fond memories of hunting asparagus with my Grandpa and Grandma Schwenn along fence lines in rural Dane County. Walking carefully so you don't inadvertantly snap off a stalk in a less-than-optimal spot, you would push aside the tall grass. The hunt made it seem all the more precious. If anyone had asparagus gardens back in the late 1960s and early 1970s, I sure didn't know them. Now, of course, my parents have a large asparagus garden and everytime I head out there, they load me up.

The same is true of rhubarb (I love it, eat it a ton and get it from my parents). My honey Tim's favorite is a rhubarb custard pie, which I've finally mastered to the approval of my stepchildren. They have even asked me to make it over their Grammy, who is the state champ at making rhubarb custard pie. Here's the recipe:

3 slightly beaten eggs
2 2/3 Tablespoons milk
2 cups sugar
4 Tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 cups rhubarb
Mix all together and put into a pie crust (I use Pillsbury in a box when I'm in a pinch--it's the only frozen or refrigerated that's any good.) and then bake at 400 for 60 minutes. I've also made the custard without the crust and then put ice cream on top. Yummm.

Finally, morels are another favorite. I want to learn how to forage for my own since they can cost anywhere between $10 and $20 a pound. I only like them one way: sauteed on their own with garlic, onions, butter and salt and pepper. The kids even ate them and liked them -- although one waited until they were cold. Not a good time to try them.

I also want to share a very cool Web site my friend Amanda posted on Facebook today. Eatwellguide.org has some of my favorite local businesses on it. Put in your zip code and you'll find all of the best local, sustainable businesses (restaurants, farmers markets, co-ops, farmers, etc.) in your area.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Like the idea for the Rhubarb Pie. I made a dessert tonight from Cooking Light called Rhubarb Crumble. It was a hit. The girls really loved it and so did Ralph's parents. However, the recipe did not seem that "light", it had alot of sugar and butter in it. (Nancy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Sugar and butter are fine in moderation compared to fake sugar substitutes and funny oils.

    ReplyDelete