Friday, February 12, 2010

Breakthrough?

I have just had the greatest idea when it comes to eating out. Let someone else order for you!

Last night I went to the Overture Center to hear Elizabeth Gilbert, the writer of "Eat, Pray, Love," a book that seriously saved me when I was going through The Horror three years ago (to the day this week). I went with my friends Doug and Samara, both ridiculously thin. Samara writes food articles for the local paper and so she always knows where to go and we let her pick a dinner location. She chose a Mexican restaurant with a name I can't remember on Main St. I decided I would get whatever she or Doug got, depending on which sounded better. There I was looking at all the fabulous entrees, including lamb, which I love, and they both ordered appetizers. OK. So I ordered the Mexican platter like Doug did (Samara ordered a large dish of melted cheese with toritllas, and I didn't think that would be good). It was perfect. One chicken flauta, one bean and cheese empanada, one small tostadda with shredded pork and that was it. Yum and I wasn't too full. I did have a couple margaritas as well.  Lesson, I did great on the food, but should have just stuck to one margarita. I was a little drunk after the second.

Tonight, I'm going out with my girlfriends again, including Perfect Sue who never lets a fattening bite pass her lips, and if it should, she punishes herself on this decrepit old exercise bike. I rode once and thought it was broken, it's so hard to pedal. So I guess I'll let her order for me. My worry is that I'll feel deprived, which is a little trick I set up for myself to make sure I have a relapse and end up eating a whole pizza, which I don't even particularly like. Seriously, when I fall off the wagon, I usually end up pigging oiut on something I don't even like that much like chips or pizza. So, not only am I going to let Sue order for me, but I'm going to get it in my head that I really like whatever she orders. I will also try to eat it slowly. I'm going to email her now and warn her to pick something, but not too spartan like plain lettuce with lemon, steamed veggies and ice water. Perhaps splitting an relatively healthy entree and one glass of wine. And, since we're going to "It's Complicated" before dinner, I'll have her steer me away from the popcorn.

In other news, I made my own lunch the other day when I knew I'd be on the road over lunch. The bad news is that I started eating it as I drove out of the driveway at 9:30. The good news is that it was healthy. The bad news is that I was starving at noon and only had $2 and some change in my car as I had forgotten my wallet at home and I stopped to get 2 corndogs at the gas station. I don't even like corndogs that much. Why was I eating them? I did great at dinner having a big romaine lettuce salad, with sliced bok choy and radicchio, roasted root vegetables (turnips, parsnips, carrots of multiple colors and sweet potatoes), and roasted chicken. I'm back on board that problem now. I'm packing my lunch and putting it on the back seat so I can't reach it. Then I'm also packing a snack and some water, which will keep my occupied during my terrible time.

I'm also still struggling with the grocery shopping. So now I'm going to stop grocery shopping and just make what's in the refrigerator, and then when I shop I'm going to take a child with me since I never eat in a store when they are with me.

Man, I'm finding out I have a lot of bad habits to break.

Here's my mantra for today, and I'm going to tell myself this all day: It's easy to lose weight, I eat like I'm Ann or Sue all the time and I love to exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment