Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Get off your butt! (and I'm down 2 more pounds.)

One of my skinny friends recently sent me this interesting article from the New York Times which really hammers home the idea that you spend about 16 hours a day in activity other than sleeping, and much of that is sitting—which makes you fat! Even if you exercise for one of those 16 hours, that still leaves 15 hours at your discretion. So do you take the stairs instead of the escalator? Do you park far away and then walk the distance to your work door? Do you walk your dog or let them out the back door to do their duty? Do you go up and down the stairs in your home when you are cleaning or do you pile stuff on the stairs and then carry it all up in one load?

This was especially fascinating to me because I so often pride myself on getting rock star parking, efficiently moving items around the house and having a back yard for my dogs. But if I were a little less practical about time and a lot more practical about exercise, I would burn more calories. So, I have to changing my thinking to "How do  I get the most bang for my exercising buck during the day?"

On the good news front, I have lost two more pounds. I attribute it solely to focusing more on what skinny chicks do rather than hating myself for every less-than-stellar choice I make.

Now, I'm going to cut this post short so that I can run up and down my stairs to do laundry and get my house cleaned up! (Thanks Amy/Skinny Chick No. 2 from my previous post.)

1 comment: