Thursday, February 4, 2010

Foraging for Food


Well, now that I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and realizing that we humans have so many choices and yet we're often eating the same foods over and over, I'm really getting into finding foods that are as fresh as possible, as seasonal and as grass-fed or wild, if possible.

So where do I go? First, I hit my freezer. Tim and I had a huge garden last year and both of us worked like slaves freezing, canning and eating foods. Most of them are in the freezer, including tomatoes, beets, peas, beans, carrots, etc. Last night, I made salmon (wild) with beets from our freezer and steamed snow peas on salad.  (By the way, I love the way I make salmon—it's always moist and yummy. I take my large All Clad straight-sided fry pan and put about an inch of water in it. Then I place a shallow oval baker in it and inside the baker I put my salmon, skin side down. Salt, pepper and a little lime or lemon for seasoning. Then I put the lid on and turn up the heat. I usually let it steam for about 7 minutes so the inside is still pink, but warm. Yummy!) I boiled the beats with the skins on and then took them out and salted and peppered them after taking the skins off and slicing them up. Loved it!
The next place I go for great food is Paoli Local Foods. I love that place! It's run by the Ruegsegger's, who also own Ruegsegger Farm. They raise all kinds of meats, but the store also has fresh produce and other items from local producers. Today I picked up some wonderful spinach, carrots, and frozen corn. They were serving this wonderful chicken soup that was thick and lovely with corn in it. I loved the sweetness of the corn, so I bought some to throw in the chicken soup I was making at home. The carrots also joined the grass-fed chicken in the stock pot.

I also no longer buy organic eggs, only free-range. Egg chickens go through hell when they are making eggs. They often are piled into a cage where they can't move and are sometimes pecked to death by their neighbor. Others develop mental problems and rub their breasts on cages until they are bleeding. Many organic farmers don't have any different situation except that they feed their birds organic feed. So check on that one! I pick them up at one of several farms in the area who have free-range eggs in the season, and in winter I go to Willy Street. Sure, they're shipped a little further, but that's ok.

Willy Street Coop is another of my favorites. They clearly list local foods, so you can really understand what's local. They also list their suppliers on signs, so you can go straight to the farmer, if you so desire.

I also love to shop at La Baguette for my breads. It's run by a couple from France, and I think the husband is the baker, if I remember the story right. Those Frenchies really know what they're doing when it comes to bread. It's made the same way it would be in France -- crusty exterior and wonderfully light interior. If I have to stop for food, I have to say that I'm going to stick with their sandwiches. They really know how to make great, simple food. They're at 7424 Mineral Point Road,
Madison, 608.827.6775

So how does this all figure into my diet? Well, first of all, I figure if I'm satisfied with what I'm eating, I'll eat less. One reason I think I eat so much is that I'm never really getting any flavor out of my food. Also, it's healthier to eat this way. Finally, if I start eating consciously, I'll start really choosing what I put in my mouth, and I won't do any of that boredom eating (it's hard to start popping fresh foods like they're potato chips). I'll also develop a new connection to food other than it being my drug of choice for fixing sadness, anger or frustration.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck! i think if we conquer food have of our work is done. one week before I started exercising I just corrected my diet first,trying all the while to eat healthy. its been 3 weeks now and I definitely see my cravings coming down!


    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Omnivore's Dilemma, and it changed my views a lot. However, even though I still aim towards that mark, I've gotten a little lazy. Thanks so much for sharing your journey and insights, inspirations and aspirations. You're bringing more light to lots of ut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops... that's "lots of us". Fatfingers...

    ReplyDelete