Monday, February 1, 2010

Menu planning

Menu planning isn't exactly my strong suit. In a perfect world, I throw open my well-stocked fridge filled with grass-fed meats, fresh vegetables and fruit and, after consulting my equally well-stocked pantry, I begin whipping up a delicious wonder that strikes my or my husband's fancy. But the truth of the matter is, that after a week of feeding children, I also prefer eating leftovers and easy foods the Monday and Tuesday nights after the kids go back to their mom's. But, as nearly every expert on healthy eating will exclaim, failing to plan is planning to fail.

So here goes.

Monday: I'll throw the whole chicken in my fridge into the crockpot with some carrots, celery and potatoes and a little rosemary, salt and pepper.

Tuesday: Venison steak salad with sauteed red pepper, onion and sugar snap peas.

Wednesday: Chicken soup with turnips, cauliflower, carrots and parsnips.

Thursday: Lean pork roast with sweet potatoes and beets.

Friday: Salmon, mashed potatoes with cauliflower in them and steamed broccoli.

Saturday: Weight Watchers recipe of sweet and sour chicken.

Sunday: Dinner with the family for February birthdays.

Now for the real problem: lunches. I'm going to plan to make baggies of foods that I can grab quickly and throw into my cooler to carry with me. I'll have to stop at the store today and pick some up. I already have pretzels (although I don't really like them). Also carrots (too crunchy) and sugar snap peas. I like craisins and dried banana chips, but I've heard you can really pig out on the before you know it.

Any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment