Saturday, February 6, 2010

I'm All Butter!

I'm sitting here right now with a beautiful slice of Madison Sourdough bread that's spread with butter. That I made. Yes, that's right, I made my own butter today. And you might be surprised to know that I don't even have a churn.

Here's the method: Put a pint container of organic whipping cream or heavy cream and put it in your stand mixer (I used my Kitchenaid). Turn on the blender. Let 'er whip for 7-10 minutes. That's pretty much it.  First, it will turn into whipped cream, just like usual. Then it looks almost like cottage cheese. Then the buttermilk separates pretty significantly from the butter. It's done when the liquid is in the bottom of the mixer and the butter is all caught up in the blade. Strain the milk into a jar and save it for pancakes or another recipe. Get the butter back into the bowl and into a clump (this should be pretty easy). Make a glass of ice water. Pour about 1/4 to 1/2 cup over the butter and using a big wooden spoon, smash the butter into the water, kind of reforming your mound. The water will be cloudy. Pour it off and do the same three more times. When the water is clear, you are done (you do this step so your butter will keep). I got about 1/2 pound of butter and 1 cup of buttermilk. Yay! I split about 1/4 of my butter away and mixed it with a little honey for some honey butter. I did not salt it at all. Isn't that fun?

Why butter, you might ask? Well, according to my new eating plan of sticking to whole foods that are made by real people's hands, I don't eat fake butters or oils that can't be ground with a stone. That leaves butter, olive oil, coconut oil and one other that I can't really remember right now. 

Today I ate pretty well. I had 2 oranges, a slice of Parisian boule bread with honey and black coffee for breakfast. For lunch, I had a slice of bread with peanut butter and an apple. But then I ran up against my old nemesis: the supermarket. I ran over to Target to get some of that Bare Chicken (or whatever it's called), and some dried beans to make my famous baked beans for a party tomorrow and there's the deli. Of course, I had to run over and grab some baked french fries and munch on them as I shopped. It's really something I'd like to give up, but once I'm in the store, I always seem to be hungry, and carrots don't seem at all appealing when I get that supermarket starve going. The problem with the above plan is that there's not a ton of variety, which I am trying to instill and I'm a little low on the vegetable side.

Well, at least those fries were baked. Tonight Tim and I might go get sushi at Edo Garden, which I love and he's been craving. But, we'll see. We're trying to eat out less, so perhaps I'll make something. But sushi is just too much work. Wait. That's an excuse. I want to find a class on making sushi, then I might do it at home. Any ideas?

5 comments:

  1. Alright, Lisa. This is my tough-love post. Try to suspend your annoyance with me and read it for what it is: an honest attempt to help you.

    1. If you really want this goal to be a reality, you're going to have to deal with the math of the situation. The quantity, not just the quality.
    2. To lose 60 pounds in 6 months, that is about 2-2.5 pounds a week. A pound is 3500 calories. Even conservatively speaking, you need a 1000 calorie deficit every day to make this happen.
    3. Even if you have a semi-active day, this means you should only be taking in 1000-1200 calories a day.
    4. In the above post, I counted about 1000 calories before you even got to Edo.
    5. I get the vibe that counting calories goes against your general dieting philosophy, but do you think you could do it just for a day or two? Just to get an idea of how much (how very very little) food you actually should be consuming each day.
    6. Don't be mad. Your butter sounds delicious. I liked reading about the process. But blog quality aside, you will never lose 60 pounds eating bread and butter.
    7. Hunger is progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ann, I dearly love you and your tough love. Never fear, I'm counting every calorie and bite, good and bad. And I have had all but 8 of my Weight Watchers points for the day. I should have mentioned that. And, Tim and I aren't going to the restaurant because I realized that it's really hard to county Sushi. So we're going to stay home and have the chicken and vegetable soup I made earlier this week. Isn't that good? And I'm not going to have any wine tonight!
    Also, I did exercise today and rode my horse as well. I'm feeling pretty good.
    I have totally sucked at getting my veggies in and so tonight, I will also have some steamed broccoli, the ol' standby. I calculated the points on the soup, and it's about 3 points per cup, so I'll have two cups and no other starches tonight.
    Thank you! You saved me from possibly forgetting myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, and I also only have about 1/2 teaspoon of butter at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post gave me a couple thoughts:

    1. "that supermarket starve"
    Yeah, I know all about that. I usually go to the supermarket intending to forage for healthful foods. I do pretty well, until I approach the checkout line, and I have to pass the hot fried foods and finally the candy rack.

    2. Steamed veggies ...
    I bought some microwavable steamed veggies on my last grocery trip. I used to hate veggies like broccoli and cauliflower, but I bought some recently. I also bought some plain yogurt, which I also dislike. I finally thought of mixing them together, using the plain yogurt like a dip for the dreaded veggies.To my surprise, when I combined those foods that I didn't like separately, the combination actually tasted great. I just ate another big bowl.

    The 50 Best Health Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making home-made butter! It tastes delicious. And is definitely better than market butter.

    ReplyDelete