Tuesday, January 13, 2009

All About Oprah's Webcast

Well, it was a close call, but I wasn't a guest on Oprah's Webcast related to regaining weight. What? You hadn't heard that I was a guest at Oprah's Jan. 5 show (taped in late October)? Well, I was. On a whim one day, I went to Oprah's Web site. I've always wanted tickets. And there was a call for people who had gained weight. Well, that was me. I signed up and then quickly forgot about it. One day, while at the horse barn, Tim ran up to me with the cell phone saying that Oprah's people had called and I was invited to attend the taping for the show! Yay. So Tim, Lisa and sister Holly packed up and headed to Chicago just two days before we moved to the farm.

The show, however, didn't inspire me. I was frustrated to hear mostly about Oprah's story and then, even less desirable, Carny Wilson's. I didn't really relate to them. But when I watched the show on January 5, I heard something that clicked. Oprah said she didn't have balance. Bingo! That's what I was missing. I was happy, and loved much of my life, but I was doing so much for others and trying to make money, that I wasn't taking time to recharge my spirit or to have fun! I couldn't even name three things to do that are fun.

Well, then last week, I got the call that my email response to the follow-up survey sent out after the taping generated the possibility that I would be on the Webcast. And even though that fell through at the last moment, the important result is that I also figured out that I don't always believe I deserve to be thin. I believe I deserve other things, but I can't quite believe that everything good should come to me so I subconsciously sabotage myself. As much as friends may preach to me about what I need to do to lose weight, I do it even more to myself. As Oprah said, she was disappointed in herself and that's just how I felt. Especially after the trio of blows I received over the past two years—those of you who know me well, know what I mean—I've got something to prove.

But I did watch the Webcast last night and you can too if you click here. It was really informative. Bob shared his "6 foods to avoid," which relate to my diet plan, happily: sodas (even diet), white bread, foods with trans fats, fried foods, alcohol (argh!) and high fat milk and yogurt. I'm not totally giving up alcohol, although I'm really limiting it. But everything else is on my list. He also recommends eating three meals and two snacks regularly, which I am doing. He said it avoids food "episodes" (I have something more akin to food "miniseries," but I get the idea).

The other idea I came up with as they were talking is there are two Lisa's. There's the Lisa that lets herself slip, that doesn't do what's right for herself and the "higher self" Lisa. That HS Lisa, as I am going to call her, knows what she should do and does it. That's where I'm going to try to operate because the HS Lisa would never sabotage herself. She doesn't over-commit, she doesn't ignore what is stressing her and she sticks to her daily schedule.

Move over Lazy Lisa and make way for HS Lisa. And thanks Bob G. and Oprah, as cheesy as it sounds!

3 comments:

  1. One thing that discourages me about weight loss, is that I have NEVER been a person who loses a lot of weight in the first 3 weeks. I don't know why. I always find it difficult to stay focused. Do you know why this is? I hear stories of others losing quite a bit of pounds in the first 2 weeks, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is such a problem for women because our bodies want to hang onto the weight, even if we're doing all the right things. The scale sends us mixed signals and makes us do crazy things like not drink a glass of water at night.

    Tip: If you want to see some faster scale movement, cut the carbs after about 2pm each day. No rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, crackers, cereal, fruit, juice, milk, sugar. If you have to have that stuff do it for breakfast and lunch. Typical dinner: Salmon and green beans. Or, chicken breast and green salad. Or pork tenderloin and asparagus. You get the idea. Lisa, on potato bar night you could make a dinner of just toppings - maybe on a potato skin.

    After your scale rewards you for a few weeks, you will get comfortable at dinner time adding in small amounts of brown rice, some lower carb fruits like raspberries and blueberries, beans and lentils, a glass of wine.

    It's tough to be so strict, but that scale is a huge motivator...and the first few weeks can be make or break in our crazy minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tips. I really enjoy your insight. Specific guidelines do help, so I will try the no carbs after 2 p.m.

    ReplyDelete