Friday, January 9, 2009

Day 3 - Back out of the saddle.

Well, yesterday started out really well and ended well. There were some problems in the middle. I had a whole wheat English Muffin with honey for breakfast yesterday (130 cals. for bagel and 43 cals.) as well as a Clementine orange. Clearly not enough, as I would be able to tell the minute trouble hit. After a great meeting in the morning with a very helpful businesswoman, I was planning to ride with a friend at 11:30. Then, while bending over my purse sitting on the table, I literally felt my back shift in one spot. Pain! I couldn't straighten, nor could I sit. Fortunately, Tim helped me and as I walked around, it felt better. Still painful, but better. I couldn't really sit that well, and laying was out of the question. I've been fortunate to always have had a healthy back, so this is the first time I've experienced what others go through. Highly unpleasant and upsetting since your mobility is challenged. I called off the horseback riding and headed into town.

Now, anyone who knows me knows that when all is well, I do well. But the moment there's trouble, I head for the food. Yesterday was no different. I had a small Snickers candy bar while shopping at Home Depot and also had a soda. I had been craving diet cola. The bright side is that afteward I identified the problem and now know that instead of ignoring issues such as stress over a bad back, I have to deal with it before I get in a vulnerable position at a store with candy and soda so avaiable. The funny thing is, I don't even love candy that much. So the Snickers is 271 Cals. I didn't have any other lunch, however. And then had an apple when I got home.

Last night our three children, Isabelle (11), Colin (nearly 9) and Eden (7) returned to us from their mom's. So I tried the bakes potatoe bar and they loved it! I put out green and red salsa, light sour cream, chili con queso, broccoli, cottage cheese and turkey and let them pick and choose their toppings. They ate 1 1/2 potatoes and finished almost all of the toppings (except the salsa). Tim also loved it. I used the turkey, broccoli, green salsa, no fat sour cream and fat free cheddar cheese on mine. Yay! It was about 375 calories (one medium potato is 168 calories, turkey about 110, salsa 36, sour cream 40, broccoli 20). It seems our kids like any food if they can assemble it themselves.

Which brings me to a change we've made recently. I may have mentioned already that 30 pounds of my weight gain came from trying to make the kids like me by only making fun kid foods. But it's not healthy for either of us. So now I'm making foods that Tim and I like and having the kids eat them too. It's more healthy and broadens their horizons. One of of our daughter's friends won't eat hardly anything and isn't shy about telling us that at mealtime. We don't want our kids acting like that at other people's homes, so we're going to start at home. So now we make what we want, but let the kids serve themselves how much they want to eat. They have to eat some of the vegetable (and sometimes I slip veggie purees into foods so they get even more than they kbow). It's working so far, and we have been surprised by some of the foods they've liked. Like swordfish, venison (very lean) and Asian foods.

Tim and I shared a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich later after the kids were in bed, and he liked it so much he had another. That made me a little crabby, but hopefully I'll quit coveting his food. We had a little fight one night after I started my "live-it" (I hate the word diet) when he plopped on the couch munching a huge handful of frosted sugar cookies from Christmas and a big glass of milk. He didn't get how having cookies when I couldn't wasn't the same as me having a slice of dessert when he wasn't because he was full.

Stay tuned, because I think I'm going to have some very interesting news on Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. This is so great! I love reading it. And even though you feel bad about the snickers and diet soda, it really is all about total calories in and total calories out. So, no big tragedy.

    I agree it's so hard to eat enough for breakfast to last you through the morning. I almost always have a bowl of oatmeal or cheerios first thing, and then a banana or apple midmorning. Otherwise I just can't make it. And I have to give you a big hooray for your plan with the kids - eating well is one of the best things you can pass along to them. From the beginning with my son I have refused to make kid food - in part because of my own laziness - so if he doesn't like what we're having for dinner, my motto is "breakfast isn't that far away!"

    I also wanted to ask you: Did you consider adding Alli to your marriedskinny plan? I don't have an opinion one way or the other, I was just curious what you thought about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that has always been a problem for me in maintaining my goals for exercise is injuries. I have had back, neck and feet problems for years. Well, no doubt, as soon as I am headed for a successful intervention, I will get an injury. One time it was terrible headaches, even. So, when this year started, I said to myself "I will not let an injury take away my goals". In the past, I would stop going to the gym or staying on the right track and I was disappointed in my body. My ability to manage my weight all my life has been dependent upon exercise. I have never really mastered how to eat healthy long term. So, when exercise is compromised, I feel like I have failed my goals. Lisa, try hard to stay strong and know that your body will heal itself. Start back slow (with your back) so it does not become worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea Ann. I have considered it, but haven't done it yet. I should try it just to see how it works! Thanks for your support. You are really nice. Lee is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete