Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fighting the fight

Lisa: This email came from my dear friend Nancy who is struggling as I am with weight gain and kids. She let me know it was fine to post if I wanted because it is a real story of how one can feel overwhelmed and out of control. I've been there!

Nancy: Today, I went to my obgyn and I weighed more than I ever had. I gained 12 pounds in 2 1/2 months. They had record that 2 years ago, I weighed 25 pounds less. That was even after Kate was born when I thought I was fat. I had a IUD inserted 3 months ago and I have this idea that has contributed to my weight gain. I can't fit into the clothes I was wearing in November when I saw you. Today I went and had it removed. They didn't seem to think it had anything to do with my weight gain. They said my metabolism has probably slowed down (you know starting to reach 40 years old). I feel SO frustrated. After the appointment, I was shopping and Kate wanted a cookie at this bakery and I ate 2/3 of the cookie. I really could have had 10 of them and I would have loved every minute of it. I feel I don't have the strength or will power right now. I am going out tonight with 2 friends to celebrate one's b-day and we are going to this really nice place with excellent desserts. I plan on having some. I feel discouraged tonight. I see this taking me a year or more to accomplish and all I really want to eat is all the stuff I love and crave. This sucks.

4 comments:

  1. I just looked this up online and there seem to be a LOT of testimonials from people who gained weight with an IUD. Hopefully having it removed is going to make this whole journey easier for you, Nancy. Your email was eerily familiar - those doctor weigh-ins can be humiliating. But just try to reframe it in your mind: say "This is the last time I will ever see that number on the scale at a doc's appointment." or "Boy...just wait, I've got a surprise for you all the next time I step on this thing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you, but I like you already! You put a smile on my face today and a little giggle. I am very competitive and I can already see myself doing that in the office. I have my annual next month...

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES - use that competitive energy. Those holier-than-thou nurses won't know what hit them.

    We will all have to get together when you're in town someday and shop for new jeans or something. I have a baby due in May so I assume I'll have some weight goals of my own in a few months. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It will be fun to meet up in person. Not sure the date when we come to visit again, but this spring sometime.

    ReplyDelete