Thursday, January 8, 2009

Write it down

Everyone who advises me on weight loss tells me that I need to write down everything I eat. So, rather than resist that advice as I usually do, I'm going to follow it since the only time I lost a lot of weight (on Weight Watchers about 5 years ago), that is exactly what I did. No more resistance. I have a huge book on calories and fat grams, but I wanted something easier that I could do on my computer.

What I found was sparkpeople.com, which I've added to favorite Web sites. Not only will they create menus for you according to your preferences, they allow you to check off what you had and then count your calories. You can create menus of your own or use theirs. It's not perfect, and can take a while to customize, but I printed off menus for the next few days that allow me 1,300 - 1,500 calories per day and the menus will even work for our children, who are returning to us tonight. I had to do some of my own research, but that's ok.

It also printed a shopping list, which I love!

I did really well yesterday, even when Tim and I ate out for lunch. We went to the delicious Edo Garden restaurant in Monona and had sushi and miso soup. Yum! Sushi rolls have about 25 calories per piece, but if you have spicy tuna roll with the spicy mayo, it's a bit more. About 290 calories for six pieces. Still not bad. Miso soup is about 36 calories for a cup. Sashimi doesn't have any rice, but since many of the sushi fish can have a lot of fat (like Salmon), it can add up if you get lulled into thinking "no rice, so no calories." One piece of yellowtail or other tuna is about 30-35 calories per ounce and salmon can be about 164 calories for two pieces. The spicy mayo that is served on Dragon rolls, or anything spicy, is about 100 calories per tablespoon, just like most other fats. I'll avoid that one.

Tonight I'm trying a stuffed potato Make-it-Yourself meal for the kids for dinner. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Ok, so here is a quick update. I went to Trader Joes and bought some healthy stuff to add to my menu. I had for breakfast today the most disgusting looking bowl of oatmeal. It was Trader Joes Healthy super complex oatmeal packet and blueberries and flax seed. It was hard to get down (I did not add sugar), but after awhile, I actually was ok with it. It made me very satisfied in the stomach department. Ralph saw the what was left and wanted to know what mold I was eating. Then for lunch I just made the most yummy hummus. I started with garlic (lots), garbanzo beans, pine nuts, olive oil, salt and pepper and puried it. Very yummy with green peppers. I will probably add some to bread as a sandwich.

    So, here we go and off to a healthy year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some quick thoughts going thru my head:

    I am for the first time thinking of what to eat vs. not what to eat. All my life when I used the word diet, it was a negative thought. Now, I plan to look at it as a word that defines what you eat. I am quick to be critical of what choices I make in tempting situations. Yesterday a playgroup was hosted by a great cook and I ate 2 servings of her egg dish and apples. Well, what I forgot to notice is that I did not throw handfuls of crackers (goldfish in particular) down my face while I was making the plate for Kate to eat. I refused to eat the crackers, cookies, donuts and coffee cake. So, I guess it was a good day in the terms of temptation. But, I was still hard on myself for taking the yummy cheese and sausage egg dish even after I had already had breakfast.

    another dish...last night I made whole wheat penne pasta tossed in garlic/olive oil with brocolli and baked chicken with a little bit of fresh parm. grated on top. Very yummy and family all loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did buy the book YOU on a diet but only on chaper 3 and not sure yet. But, the idea is to start adding foods to diet for a good long healthy life. Naturally your body will start to follow its course and you will lose weight.

    ReplyDelete