Monday, February 9, 2009

Big news!

Yes, that's right. I've lost another 2 pounds. And I'm really happy with my new nutritionist, who has really helped me see what's wrong with my past behavior.

Today we talked about fats. I'd say for the past 20 years, I've been trying to stay on a low-fat diet. I'm often starving and often feeling crummy. When Tracie looked at what I was eating last week, she told me that I had too little fat in my diet. Whaaaat? Then I remembered that I had a naturopath look at my cells and he said my cells didn't look that healthy or strong. It was clear, he said, that I didn't have enough fat in my diet. I thought he was a quack. I've always been confused by my medical tests. Even though I'm exceedingly pleasingly plump, my HDL and LDL levels have always been perfect, my blood pressure is low (thyroid) and my resting pulse is great.

Tracie said that when people ate 100 years ago, they didn't have corn oil, soy oil, canola oil, etc. What they had was butter, animal fat and perhaps olive oil in the Middle East. Butter is a saturated fat. Olive oil is a monunsaturated fat and the others are polyunsaturated. Basically butter helps your cells as does olive oil (if its not used in cooking -- heat breaks down what's best about olive oil as perhaps you've heard Oprah's Dr. Oz say). But the best fat is really within foods as they come off the animal or stalk: whole milk, meats, nuts, etc. So why not eat them?

Fats make you feel more full for longer as well and are a good supplemental source of energy (If I'm getting this wrong, Tracie, weigh in). And when you combine fats and carbohydrates -- bread and butter being a classic example -- the fat slows down the carb digestion process so that your blood sugar doesn't spike. Which is why, even though I've eaten more butter and olive oil this week than I ever have in my life, I lost weight. It's great.

Tonight, the fam is having stir-fry (in butter) with free range chicken. I'm making potatoe soup to have for lunches this week as well as a great soup recipe Ann shared earlier that I love. We're having eggs, oatmeal or cottage cheese -- all with fruit -- for breakfast this week. And dinners are: lamb chops and roasted beets and sweet potatoes, roasted chicken, carrots and potatoes, beef tenderloin with peppers and salad, fish, baked potatoe fries and veggie coleslaw. Saturday night we are eating at friends, and I'll just eat less of what's not the best and more of what's good. Sunday night we'll have venison chili with salad and bread.

Now, for that exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment