Thursday, February 12, 2009

Working from home

I'm not sure how stay-at-home mothers stay slim. It seems impossible to me. I'm working from home right now and unless I completely stay out of the kitchen, the temptation to open the refrigerator is constant. It's as if I've been trained by a mad scientist to open the door to some silent bell every time I walk by.

I know procrastination is the hallmark of a true writer—most of us get busy during the reporting phase, but when it comes to putting pen to paper, the house must be clean, laundry done, dinner prepared, couch fluffed and toenails polished before we will actually sit down to write. But still, procrastination notwithstanding, I still get lured into the kitchen, even when I'm just walking into the living room to look out the front window for a change of scenery.

I remember the good old days of my last diet. I was working at a newspaper and all I had to do was eat a good breakfast, pack 2 snacks and a good lunch, and make sure I didn't go off the rails when I first got home—that stress-eating pitfall so many fall into. Once I got into a routine, it was relatively easy. I guess I just have to find my routine at home—although that's half the reason I like working from home: spontaneity.

Yesterday, our youngest (Eden) was sick and she needed me. So I was pretty busy running for liquids, toast, and the vomit bucket. But her presence also threw me off when it came to planning time out for me. She had lots of good reasons I should be by her side, so I was. That meant I had to do the ol' drive-by eating that got me into trouble in the past. Fortunately, I could fall onto my good friends--healthy snacks. I'd have cheese and apple slices or some veggies and yogurt dip. But by the time dinner came around, I was starving. My ol' pal the slow-cooker came to the rescue. I popped in a Trader Joe's preseasoned roast, a few chopped up potatoes, sweet potatoes, fresh cherry tomatoes and carrots (add the tomatoes 1/2 hour before serving), throw in some Italian seasoning, pepper and salt and you're off! Oh yes, and some water. When done, I drizzled a little olive oil onto the vegetables before a final seasoning and everyone at the table was happy except Colin, who has been convinced that any little bit of fat unless it comes on bacon or ribs will choke him. The little muggins.

I'd love to hear what other moms do. And any moms out there who are falling off the wagon, and you know who you are, just take it with babysteps. I highly recommend starting the day with two scrambled eggs with regular (not skim) cottage cheese and strawberries. You won't have any hunger pains until snack time. Then try an apple and some cheese (2 oz.). At lunch have a piece of sourdough bread, a hunk of rotisserie chicken and some steamed vegetables (or spinach salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar). Just one meal at a time. Make sure there's a little protein, carb and fat. You can do it! (P.S., yesterday I would just eat the next time I got hungry and discovered it was about 2.5 hours after every snack. What a revelation!)

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, being home and trying to stay out of the kitchen is a real problem!! Although, I always had trouble at work too with all the treats in the break room and the vending machines.

    It took me about a year of being at home to get a handle on the "walk by the fridge" problem. I have found my strategy has to be two-pronged: Routine and Prevention. Usually in the morning I briefly think through everything I'm going to eat that day. (dinners are planned once a week) And breakfast and lunch are the same almost every day. Breakfast is cheerios. Midmorning banana. Lunch is peanut butter sandwich (natural and whole wheat of course!), carrots, fruit, and a diet pepsi. Afternoon yogurt cup. I know it's really boring, but when I start varying from the routine I get into trouble. I hope my dinners help me get enough nutritional variation.

    Anyway, the other big part is prevention. Meaning, I can't have stuff in the house that will tempt me. Chips, cookies, even things like string cheese. My poor son never gets any fun food because I can't keep it around the house!! It's so funny to see him at playdates with other kids "discovering" things like Goldfish crackers.

    It also helps if your leftovers aren't too tempting. A cold pot of soup in the fridge doesn't tempt me during the day, but a pan of lasagna does. Just another reason to make healthy dinners, I suppose. Or freeze things right away.

    In the interest of full disclosure, I always have individually wrapped dark chocolate squares(70% cacao) in a secret location in the kitchen. They're 40 calories each so I only have one a day. But some days, you know, I have five.

    ReplyDelete