Friday, February 27, 2009

Yucky fillers in "healthy" foods

Yikes. I just looked at the label of the cottage cheese I've been eating. I thought it was a healthy food until I really read the label! It's jam-packed with "fillers" such as guar gum, xanthum gum carob bean gum, potassium sorbate, etc.

Guar gum and other gums are seemingly ok foods processed from plants. But when I looked them up, they really start out sounding as an ok thickener for foods, until you get deeper into the explanation. For example, guar gum was once used in weight-loss foods, but were recalled when they realized that they can cause blockages in the esophagus and they slow or reduce the absorption of calcium and other minerals into the body. They also can cause diahrrea. It also sounds like it might be bad for people with diabetic conditions. Hmmm. I want a cottage cheese that just has milk and salt.

Last night I had a whopper of a sinus headache that kept me awake for hours. I also had it this morning, and it really made me sick to my stomach. Now reading about some of these additives, which are rampant in foods like cheese and cottage cheese as well as any processed foods, makes me wonder what they had to do with it.

Here's what I ate yesterday. Cottage cheese with fresh pineapple chunks. Then an orange and a piece of cheese. About 3/4 cup of the leftover jambalaya. Some cheese and an apple. Then for supper we had stuffed baked potatoes. I had a tablespoon of that dratted cottage cheese, some broasted turkey, broccoli and a little salsa. I also had a small portion with the venison chili I made the other day. I only used 1/2 of the baked potatoe, but I was stuffed! It's good to see my portion size starting to shift. I am eating smaller meals -- I really notice it.

Unfortunately, I also made Tim's favorite cherry pie and had a small slice of it with some ice cream. I'm finding out most ice creams have all those fillers too, so I am switching to Hagen Daz, which doesn't.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    Great job label reading...isn't it amazing how much junk is in our food! I really think that is why there are so many allergies and food reactions...all of those additives are causing inflammation in the gut. I am also proud of you for eating smaller meals. This will help keep your blood sugar stable and stress hormones down...making it less likely for you to binge on processed foods!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete